Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tell about a favorite vacation from your childhood

When I read this question the first thing that popped into my head was camping!  I remember going on several camping trips with my family and I loved them.  We were big campers.  One of our favorite places to go camping was Samuel P. Taylor park (I think that's what it was called).  We spent time at the lake, exploring, going on hikes, cooking together, talking around the campfire and playing games.  Sometimes my dad's siblings and their families would join us on our camping excursions.  

There is one camping trip that stands out in my mind most vividly.  We brought our dog Ben with us and we were in our tent asleep.  Mom and dad were in a tent and then us kids and Ben were in another tent.  Pretty soon we started hearing scratching on our tent.  We thought it was Mom and Dad trying to scare us but it didn't take long for Ben to start barking.  We got worried that it was a mountain lion or a bear.  We unzipped the window and saw that we had several racoons in our campsite.  They were trying to get into our food and they were eating Ben's dog food.  I remember mom describing the way they were eating his food as "little kids eating popcorn." Handfuls at a time and they couldn't get enough.  One raccoon took the gallon glass jar of dog food and carried it up the tree.  It was cute to watch these raccoons in our campsite but they got into our food and that wasn't so fun.

Another family vacation that I remember going on is to Disneyland.  We went to Disneyland a few times growing up.  I don't remember a lot of specific details but I remember driving there and spending time as a family.  I remember one year I was scared of any of the big roller coasters.  My dad MADE me go on the Matahorn and I was so mad at him.  I was scared and I did not want to go on it.  I think I came off the ride enjoying it and being glad that he made me try it.

I also remember going to Hawaii with my parents and my brother.  My dad was there for work for a couple months and my mom told Brandon and I that if we could pay for our plane tickets then we could go to Hawaii.  We spent 10 days on the island of Ohau.  We went snorkeling, shopping, spent time on the beach, went to the Polynesian Culture Center, visited the temple grounds, Pearl Harbor and many other things.  I enjoyed this time in Hawaii with my parents and brother. 

I am grateful for the many times we spent together as a family.  It is spending time with the family that I remember most.  I don't remember specifics but I remember being together, laughing and having a good time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fun reading about your memories as a child. When I read this question I thought that at least some of you kids would write about camping. That's somthing we did a lot of when you kids were younger. It was a time when we had to spend time with each other witout interruption of TV or friends or other activites that took us away from one another. Mom

Our Biggs Family said...

That is funny....I wrote mine before I read yours and we remembered some of the same things. your description of the racoon encounter was much better than mine though!