Monday, September 7, 2009

What are you frightened of? Why?

When I first read this question I immediately thought, "that's easy, 'failure'." When I was in junior high and high school I wouldn't try out for the school volleyball team because I was afraid I wouldn't make the team. I have to remind myself that I can't sit back and not go for something just because I am afriad of failing. This is a constant battle for me.

A year ago my teammate Joan transferred to a new school and it left me at my current school with two new teammates. I was worried about having to do the Shakespeare play, broadcast and other activities that we had going with the 6th grade by myself (the teachers hired were new and didn't have any experience with it). I was afraid I would fail at being a 6th grade teacher. but I proved to myself I could do it!

At times I am afraid of where our world is coming to. The family is not a strong central unit anymore. Family dynamics are changing. Kids are spending more time home without mom or dad. Many parents are getting divorced and it's not being looked down on. Same sex marriage is becoming ok in the eyes of many Americans. I am grateful that we have the family proclamation to guide us and help us keep the family unit strong. We have to remind ourselves that if we are prepared we shall not fear. We need to make sure we are doing our part to be prepared for the waves that come our way!

1 comment:

garysharon said...

It doesn't surprise me that you have a fear of failure. I'm glad you have learned not to let fear of failure stop you from acheiving your dreams anymore. It's better to have tried and failed than to fail to try.
The world can be scarey because of the direction society is taking. The gospel of Jesus Christ is what will save us all.
Mom